My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Eating my hat…

One lesson I have learnt in life, is to admit when I have made mistake.  I have lost count of times when I’ve said, if I’m wrong I’ll eat my hat.  My best hat is made out of cowhide and as you might guess; its brim is well chewed.  I have eaten it publicly to astonishment of a town forum in England and this afternoon I committed myself to eating it again here on Dominica if my theory on leakage from the island’s main water supply pipeline is wrong.

Sometimes I misjudge my paintings.  On the completion of a work, I often feel that I have failed.  And more often that not, I am right.  However, there are times when, on reflection, I discover that I was closer to the truth than I thought. 

Today’s pastel painting is a case in point.  It dates back to 1989 and depicts my then Vincentian model Alice, just a few days before she gave birth to her daughter (my God daughter) Oceana.  At the time, I felt that I had failed to capture the mood of the moment.  But now, at a distance of almost half a century, I find it steeped in emotion.

2 comments:

  1. I have not seen this picture before - I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it too...the facial expression says much!

    ReplyDelete