My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Oh what a pity...


To continue from last week, here is the finished 1/12th scale maquette of my bathing figure.  In the final life-size sculpture, water will pour from the calabash shell she holds from outstretched arms.

D H Lawrence’s poem, “Innocent England” laments a court decision to destroy his nude paintings.  It begins:

Oh what a pity, Oh! don’t you agree,
That figs aren’t found in the land of the free!

Fig trees don’t grow in my native land;
There’s never a fig-leaf near at hand
When you want one; so I did without;
And that is what the row’s about…

Likewise, fig-leafs are not easily found in Caribbean and I too did without.   

No comments:

Post a Comment