My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

I can only work from a model…



"I can only work from a model. The sight of human forms feeds and comforts me."
Auguste Rodin.
 
I share Rodin’s basic need.  Without a model my mind and paper is blank.  With the model at hand, colours fall on the page with a life of their own.  
 
Wherever the model leads, I follow.  Today’s painting came about from my model's request for something to read while I paint.  The book incidentally, is Van Gogh’s letters to his brother Theo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment