My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Monday, May 2, 2016

Once in a while


Search as I might, I seldom find a new talent in painting that really turns me on. But once in a while I find a refreshingly new talent in jazz. 

Just when I was thinking that there will never be another Sarah Vaughan, this young lady comes along.

Every one of Cecile McLorin Salvant’s recordings is a masterpiece. I selected this particular video track because I am attracted to work in progress; in this case a recording session. Credit is also due to her remarkable trio.

Incidentally, the song is from Finian's Rainbow and the lyrics are equally masterful.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation - I will chase it up.
    By the way, I have just been scanning some old negatives and came across one of you. Can you remember it? I have added it to my Flickr collection https://flic.kr/p/GP92QG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried to access your flicker collection but I get a message saying "Ohps...looks like you've followed a bad link"!

      Delete