Sunday, January 28, 2018

I am sorely tempted

Five years ago my sculpture “Bathing Figure” was based on a vision from long ago. 


My diary refers to sketching on a riverside in Grenada.

“…One day, a young woman, undeterred by the teasing of her mates, planted down her basket of washing on a boulder close to my chosen spot.  I rapidly made sketch after sketch until she had scrubbed, beaten, and rinsed her last item.   But her day’s wash didn’t end there, for she next deftly took off her dress and added that to the wash.  Then, unabashed, she soaped herself down and - using a calabash bowl as a ladle - knelt and poured the cooling river water over her naked body…”

When I recall those halcyon days, I recollect not one bathing figure but a bevy of bathers and I am now sorely tempted to re-create in clay that idyllic scene. Like the figures on Rodin's “Gates of Hell” the maquettes may prove to be a breeding ground for new ideas.

Today's sketch was scribbled on the first scrap of paper that came to hand as the concept was running around in my mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment