Saturday, June 22, 2019

I could do with a bath

In this week's serialization of my book Notes on the Nude I makes reference to how I take measurements for a sculpture and in particular chalk marks, both on the modelling stand and on the model.

The most reliable measurements of the figure are taken bone to bone. But when flesh comes between, as in the case of Dave, my rotund model for the lock-keeper pictured below, I resort to chalk marks to remind me of my datum. At the end of a week's modelling Dave asked me if I'd be needing the chalks marks on his torso for the following week. His question had me puzzled until I realized that he hadn't washed the chalk marks off from one session to the next. As he said, "I could do with a bath!". 



Alice, who modeled for one of my early sculptures in the series Daughters of the Caribbean Sun misunderstood when I told her to stay still I'm going to chalk you. She thought I had said choke and ran from the studio naked!

Jessica, who modeled for my bathing figure was so slim and her skin so transparent that chalk marks were unnecessary. I could see every bone in her body. 

When chalking the line that delineates Verlena's spine she suddenly yelled "STOP"...you're tickling!

These are the precious memories of incidents and intimacies that are shared between model and artist while working together to capture the sensuous beauty of the human form. 

In the image below you have chalk marks accenting the model's spine, her position on the modelling stand and the scores of measurements that are necessary to convincingly portray the figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment