Friday, October 4, 2019

I wouldn't give tuppence for it



The first picture is from a recent experiment in paper making. On a left-over batch of cotton rag pulp I threw some petals and slender strands of stamen. The surround is a paper made from banana stems. Nine out of ten visitors to my studio are attracted to it.

The second picture is one of the hundreds of studies that I have painted for my series Daughters of the Caribbean Sun. It does not adhere to the common concept of beauty. Nine out of ten visitors to my studio wouldn't give tuppence for it. 

I am not the first painter to be out of tune with the perceptions of the public at large. Towards the end of his lifetime's work Michelangelo declared that he'd have been better off selling matches. 

Likewise, the landscape painter John Constable wrote: 

There is no finish in nature. My art flatters nobody by imitation; it courts nobody by smoothness and tickles nobody by petiteness...how then can I hope to be popular!





No comments:

Post a Comment