Saturday, January 11, 2020

We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves...




Listen! the wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves, 
We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves!

The opening lines of Humbert Wolfe's poem sum up the weather we've been experiencing over the last few days here on my supposedly tropical island of Dominica. As you can see in the photograph, the river below my studio is in full flood, hence my ritual daily bathing is out of the question. 

As is also painting from my models. With temperatures down to the mid 70's it's too cold for that. Mind you, when my studio was in the North of England my models bravely worked in freezing temperatures from within a circle of blow heaters. The pictures below are of my life-size sculpture of Ganeen and dates from that period. Ironically, it is titled: You must believe in Spring!





No comments:

Post a Comment