Thursday, November 11, 2021

Improvising in A2 sharp

The derilict organ in All Souls Church, Halifax, Yorkshire.
The organ dates from 1868 and my sketch was made in 2001.

Work on the piano that I began restoring over two months ago is nearing completion. It entered my workshop in a similar depressed state as the church organ in the opening sketch. Had I known in advance the extent of the damage caused by rats, woodworm and ravages of the Caribbean climate, I doubt that I would have attempted the task. Thankfully, the invaders stopped short at the sound board, otherwise all would have been lost, and neither could they get their teeth into the cast iron frame.

The following pictures give an indication of what I was up against.

The original guide and balance pin rails. 
This I remade from scratch with pins spaced to a tolerance of 0.010".

Guide pin rail eaten away by woodworm. 

Keys eaten away by rats.

There are no replacement piano parts available on a small island in the Caribbean. To that I might add: "period". Importing items from overseas is expensive and time comsuming, hence the need for self sufficiency, skill and improvisation. These requirements included making a machine for winding replacement single and double wound bass strings. The inner steel piano wire I had to import but the copper windings were recycled from the old strings and electric motor armatures. A disused two speed washing motor provided the exact copper wire diameter for A2 sharp. My "Made in Dominica" strings tune to a "good enough" tone and pitch.

Below is the piano with work on restoration almost complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment