Saturday, January 22, 2022

You must believe in spring...

A detail from one of my sculptures in the series You Must Believe In Spring.

Living on a small island in the Caribbean, together with trust in my natural immune system, has so far enabled me to escape the Covid virus. But try as I may, I cannot avoid the blues brought about by the pandemic restrictions. An absence of models has brought my paintings and sculptures to a halt. And the same goes for work on my Bare Minimum fashion designs. For both I need freedom to work from the unmasked live model.

This week I found hope for these frustrating times when glancing through the social media posts of a past pupil, friend and fellow artist. For Nirvana, rock bottom became a solid foundation on which to build her life.  

It then dawned on me, that it was only by reaching rock bottom in past times that I was able to rebuild my life and move on. This brings me back to a line from the haunting lyrics of "You Must Believe In Spring":

Just as a tree is sure its leaves will reappear, it knows its emptiness is just the time of year...

These lyrics, sung here by Cleo Laine, were my starting point for a series of sculptures intended to give hope to patients in cancer care. The story of this controversial commission is given in my equally controversial book Notes on the Nude.

In the spirit of carpe diem, I must create anew.

FOOTNOTE: I have tried sharing this post on a friend's facebook site. However, it has been blocked by Facebook Admin as being contrary to their community guide lines and hence unsuited for the innocent eyes of their users. If I cover the offending nipples they may reconsider! 

This video clip  is the only way to respond to their Christian horror of nakedness.   

No comments:

Post a Comment