Friday, March 11, 2022

The element of surprise



My studios have always doubled as an exhibition space for my work. Just as my paintings and sculptures have an element of surprise, the same holds true for the space in which they are created and displayed. When is comes to the "wow" factor, my previous studio in the North of England (Above) takes some beating. It was built on a steep hillside as a Church Assembly Hall. On entering by way of its classical façade (Below) visitors descended a confined flight of stairs that gave no indication of the dramatic space within. 


Although my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica is approached by way of an avenue of Royal Palms, the narrow corridor that leads from the entrance likewise gives no indication of the element of surprise that awaits within. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment