Friday, May 20, 2022

Virgin Island Nostalgia

 

Fritz Penn's Yard. British Virgin Islands

My lament for the British Virgin Islands sent me searching through boxes of photographs taken in the 1970s and 1980s.  Some of the photographs are of my paintings from those early days and others are of the islands and islanders. The photograph below was taken at the launching of a boat built by Mr. Frett of East End. Mr. Frett is on the left with the two children in yellow, and on the right, his daughter Rita is being interviewed for BVI Radio by Michelle Abbott Smith. 

The launching of Mr. Frett's boat at East End.

A painting I made of Mr. Frett's boat under construction is featured on the first edition cover of my book Virgin Island Sketches and my paintings on the same theme are featured in a series of BVI postage stamps.  

In the light of current events, I am sure that many Virgin Islanders share my nostalgia for those times past.

No comments:

Post a Comment