Saturday, October 22, 2022

The devil is in the detail


I've been harping on about the allurement of detail by it's absence since my 2013 post of the same title . There is nothing more dreary than the contrived finish that most people are looking for in a painting.

In my book Notes on the Nude I mention experiments that I am making in projecting details from my paintings onto a screen the size of a house wall. The result is a dramatically new visual experience that has elements of the abstract. In its original form, the detail that illustrates today's post is no larger than a matchbox. The breasts that gave life, have life.

As Dylan Thomas once said in reference to a good poem having the captivation of a motion picture, By God it moves. And so By God, it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment