Friday, February 24, 2023

16 x 9 vision and painting on the spur of the moment.

Breadnuts wrapped in the tree's fallen leaves.

My painting of breadnuts was made yesterday evening on the spur of the moment.  My wife placed her harvest of nuts, wrapped in leaves, down on the kitchen table. I painted it on the spur of the moment: the moment being ten minutes. 

For this blog post, it serves two fold: first, to show the elusive effect I aim for; and second, to practice seeing my subjects in 16 x 9 vision. In other words, the wide screen format.

The latter learning curve has been thrust on me by my "new" video camera. My old one saw scenes in 4 x 3 format. The wide screen is all very well for landscapes and reclining figures but it poses difficulties for portraits and the standing figure. I have been spending my evenings watching films that have won awards for cinematography to see if I can get the hang of it.  

By the way, breadnuts are from a different tree to breadfruit. Both species grow within a few yards from my studio. By this morning the leaves were in the compost and the nuts in a pot ready for cooking.

Breadnuts photographed in 4 x 3 format.

No comments:

Post a Comment