Saturday, September 16, 2023

Flattery will get you nowhere

Alice relaxing after a modelling session.

Today's sketch is of a modelling session from over thirty years ago. The subject is Alice, the very first model in my series "Daughters of the Caribbean Sun". The sketch was accomplished in less than 30 seconds and it captures the mood of the moment. Please note: my crayon hasn't had time to leave the paper.

The sketch came to mind a few days ago when I was glancing through the results of an art group's first session with a live nude model. Their stilted attempts were towards likeness and by extension, flattery. They failed miserably on both counts. My advice would have been: forget the likeness, forget the flattery, but passionately fall in love with the model and powerfully express your love a matter of seconds. 

Maybe I will add this advice to my forthcoming book, "Notes for Life Class Students and Models".

No comments:

Post a Comment