Thursday, October 5, 2023

A man I am proud to have known.

Peter Penfold CMG OBE (1944-2023)

I quote from my forthcoming book "For the Sake of the Children".

"After a further three months in limbo, we decided to sail back to the Virgin Islands and challenge the immigration ruling in the High Court. As no lawyers in the British Virgin Islands would represent me, our only way forward was with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, my Member of Parliament in England and the Governor’s Office. We were fortunate that Peter Penfold, a man of courage and high principles, was at that time the Governor of the territory. With the help of his aide Alan Penrith, he ensured we received fair treatment. 

After serving as Governor of the British Virgin Islands Peter Penfold was appointed High Commissioner to Sierra Leone where he was widely considered a hero for his controversial role in restoring Kabbah. While he was giving evidence to the UK inquiry, 20,000 people took part in a demonstration demanding his return to Sierra Leone, and upon his arrival he was appointed an honorary Paramount Chief."

Peter Penfold is a man I am proud to have known. I deeply appreciate his courage to stand by me during my fight for access to my children. Ironically, my stand for a basic human right in the British Virgin Islands, and Peter Penfold's stand for human rights in Sierra Leone, resulted in us both being deemed persona non grata in some quarters. 

The world has lost a remarkable man, to whom the Times Obituary gives deserved credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment