Thursday, August 22, 2024

In Triplicate

 

Three preliminary clay sketches depicting Thea LaFond winning 
an Olympic Gold Medal for Dominica in the Triple Jump. 

After weeks of work, on the modelling stand in my studio are preliminary clay sketches depicting Thea LaFond winning an Olympic Gold Medal for Dominica in the Triple Jump. 

I have faced the difficulty of portraying rapid movement without the aid of flowing drapery and how to position the figures, from hop, to skip, to jump, so that at a fleeting glance they are seen as one in their flight above ground.

All I had for reference was a video clip showing Thea in action. By viewing the video hundreds of times at quarter speed, I was able to capture the essence of the few seconds between the hop, the skip and the jump. Below are some of the sketches I made from the video and my clay sketch of the final jump.

What happens next, is in the lap of the gods, or more correctly, in the lap of committees.



No comments:

Post a Comment