My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Friday, December 26, 2014

I always get puzzles for Christmas

When I was little, I always got puzzles for Christmas.  But those puzzles always had a picture on the box that gave a clue as to which piece went where.  Now, seventy-two years later, my puzzles don’t come in boxes and they are harder to fathom.  I got three this Christmas.

The first puzzle is connected with my work as an engineer.  It arrived early and took a couple of months to resolve.  Number one picture is of a factory flow diagram as I found it and number two is my logical solution.




The second puzzle relates to the Burnett family’s affliction to deafness.  My mother’s form of deafness actually added a new term to the medical dictionary.  It is known as “Gladys Deafness”.  In other words: only hearing that you want to hear.  Mine is more specifically related to cell phones.  On Christmas Eve I got a call from Jessica that sounded like: Rog come help catch my pig, it’s in d road!  As I didn’t know Jessica had a pig, I was sure I’d miss-heard.  After countless requests to “say it again” I gave up, only to find – via a follow-on text message - that she does have a pig and it was in the road!

The third puzzle was when I asked Denise what she would like for Christmas.  Her request was for what she claimed I had never given her in twenty-three years of marriage!  This one had me really stumped and I had to ask her to spell it out.  Answer: A Bed-Side Table. 

I don’t have a picture of the pig, but here’s the bed-side table that I made from an assortment of Dominica hardwoods.


No comments:

Post a Comment