Monday, July 20, 2015

The Moon and Sixpence

My self-exposed exile from the land of my birth began with a voyage through the French canals in 1969 and cumulated in 1974 when, with my wife and small daughter, we sailed a 30ft ketch from England to the Caribbean. 

Somerset Maugham, in his novel The Moon and Sixpence, expresses the reason for this estrangement as follows:

…Sometimes a man hits upon a place to which he mysteriously feels he belongs. Here is the home he sought, and he will settle amid scenes that he has never seen before, among men he has never known, as if they were familiar to him from his birth…

But even before setting foot in the Caribbean, I was lured to the region by the image of a seated nude by the sculptor Enzo Plazzotta titled The Jamaican Girl.  Thus, my love for the Caribbean and my attraction to the beauty of the nude really began at an exhibition of the sculptor’s work at the 1971 Kings Lynn Arts Festival.

Following on from my last entry, today’s painting is again of my wife Norma.  It dates from 1975 and represents my very first attempt at painting the nude.


No comments:

Post a Comment