Friday, November 6, 2015

In the beginning

My on-line diary pages began seventeen years ago from my studio in England.  In those days digital cameras were in their infancy and blogs a thing of the future.  Every night my brother burned the midnight oil and set up the pages as a website.  On re-locating my studio to Dominica the website became redundant and many of the early diary pages have been lost forever. 

However, a few survive on CD and what follows is my diary page with picture for the 19th of November 1999.

Up until today anyone visiting the studio had to rattle the letterbox to gain admission.  It was the only sound that penetrated the building.  Regular letterbox rattlers will be relieved to learn that scores of visits from potential models over the last few days has finally driven me to fitting a proper door bell. 

Between those visits (and fitting the doorbell) I have been building up the wax mould of the maquette for the dancing girls.  On a cold day just the smell of molten wax helps to warm me up.  Sitting as close as I dare to a portable gas fire does the rest. 




At about the time I began my diary I exhibited a collection of 25 paintings and drawings that followed my wife through the pregnancies of our daughters.  My series of the pregnant nude may have been the first of its kind.


No comments:

Post a Comment