Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Times have changed

A few days ago my brother posted a photograph of one of my previous studios on his classic blog: http://newsfromnowhere1948.blogspot.com/ . The photograph dates from the early 1970’s when my studio was located in Southern Ireland. In a responding comment I promised his follows more pictures and memories of the same.

To begin, one of the paintings that is just discernable in the picture had far reaching consequences. It is a sketch I made of Enzo Plazzotta’s sculpture The Jamaican Girl. The sculpture had been exhibited the previous year at the Kings Lynn Arts Festival. It was at the same festival that I held my first one man show, Lynn and Locality.

I was so seduced by Enzo Plazzotta’s sculpture that I followed my temptress to the land of her birth.  Thus the Caribbean became my adopted home and the beauty of the Afro-Caribbean female nude the principal theme of my work. Little does my seducer realise that she has given birth to the hundreds and paintings and scores of sculptures in my series Daughters of the Caribbean Sun.

By delving deep into an old portfolio and I found the very sketch I made of Enzo Plazzotta’s The Jamaican Girl. Here it is, followed by a photograph of the sculpture.



 I have also found this photograph of my studio; a converted village school, at Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland.


 My brother’s blog attracts scores of comments, whereas for my diary pages they are few and far between. I therefore welcome this opportunity to assure Mike Brunbaker and Little Nell that everything around me has to be tidy in order to allow my creative muse run amok. And to temper the wishes of Alex Daw by paraphrasing the words of George Orwell: painting is the worst punishment that I can possibly devise for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment