Saturday, January 5, 2019

Practicing What I Preach

On occasions - and against all odds on a small island in the Caribbean - I meet a young person with a passion and potential for art. Six years ago I tried to introduce a one year foundation course in the visual arts for school levers but there was little interest. This is because art hardly figures at all in the secondary school curriculum and is therefore unknown. Through the Ministry of Education I have offered free introductory workshops but to no response. The island's State College offers nothing at all in Visual Art.

To get around this dilemma, I keep on open studio door for those interested in pursuing art and give ad hoc help and encouragement on a one to one basis. With me they don't learn how to mix colour but how to see colour; rather than copying from photographs I give them courage to draw from life; I don't watch them paint, they watch me paint. It is the absence of demonstrating that most art teaching falls down flat. There is not one art teacher in a thousand that dares to stand before their students and paint. 

Today's picture is a  fifteen minute portrait that I painted as a demonstration for Dionne, my latest prodigy. The sitter is her sister Danielle. Dionne desperately wanted to study art on leaving school but as no courses are available she's studying Law Enforcement. I am sure that there are many potential law enforcers in this world but few young ladies with the Dionne's passion and potential for art.

The same holds true for my equally talented model Verlena. There are thousands of Human Resource Managers, but very few talented calligraphers.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment