Saturday, September 12, 2020

A Glimpse of Stocking

Cole Porter’s 1934 original lyrics for the musical Anything Goes were more daring than today’s censored version. If you think we are more permissible almost a century later, here is a verse that nowadays we seldom hear

 If bare limbs you like,

           Or me undressed you like,

           Why, nobody will oppose,

           Anything goes.

Alas, these days it's not a glimpse of stocking but a scuffed knee in torn jeans. 

But if torn is what you like here is the latest version of the torn dress for my Bare Minimum fashion label. You'll notice that my Mk 2 offers more tantalizing glimpses than my first version shown in an earlier post. 


While I go in search of a slender Caribbean model brave enough to wear my creation let me leave you with a sepia photograph (circa 1915) of Ruth St Denis, modern dance pioneer, whose time on this earth (1879-1968) almost exactly matched that of Cole Porter (1891-1964). I dare not say that I wish she was here to inspire young dancers in Dominica as this would be taken as a rebuff by a lady from overseas who's been sent to teach dance - as was my mention of Christopher Gable in an earlier post on dance - but I would like to add Ruth St Denis's dress to my Bare Minimum collection. 

And to end, here's a rare clip of Cole Porter at the piano singing his uncensored version of Anything Goes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1w5tn040g

No comments:

Post a Comment