Friday, September 18, 2020

The creative potential of genius

 Enoch the Second

Research has shown that a child is born with 98% the creative potential of genius. But as the years go by that potential goes rapidly down hill. At the age of eight the percentage has dropped to 30%, at thirteen peer pressure has brought it down to 10% and by adulthood, conformity has reduced it to less than 2%. 

The opening picture of my grandson Enoch was taken a few days ago. On each of his visits he makes a beeline for my woodwork shop, no amount of plastic toys can satisfy his creative curiosity to the same extent: there are wheels to turn, off-cuts of wood to improvise with and shavings that can be sent flying in the air. 

For the last ten years I have been intent on proving my theory that the graph of creative potential can begin to climb again after the age of seventy. This is due to not giving a damn to what others think. Now that I am rapidly approaching eighty, the curve is pointing skyward: after all, what have I to loose.

One of my models has just returned after spending three years overseas. Saryta's "I'm back" email asked what I had been up to since she left. My list of crazy creative doings out of the ordinary prompted the reply: ha ha I love it!!!! You never stop growing and that in itself is an inspiration.

The painting below is of Saryta inspiring me from over three years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment