Monday, November 23, 2020

Beyond my control


I spend my days in longing to get back to painting. But circumstances beyond my control - first a major hurricane and then this Corona Pandemic - have deprived me of my models, and without models my work cannot exist. 

Looking back through past work is all I can do. In doing so I find some pleasant surprises in work that I had cast aside. Today's painting is one of them. For the records I had simply titled it "Collean 4". It records the transition when a model moves from reserved to relaxed. The "4" refers to the forth modelling session and that is usually the time it takes for the model and artist to throw off restraints and begin working with one accord.  

It's a pity you've travelled Collean because I could use you right now as the model for my latest Bare Minimum dress design.



When I Goggle "Caribbean Fashion" I am told that the mix of cultures in the region and the tropical climate influence the identifying features of bright colours and natural fabrics. It also adds: The Caribbean Attitude

These trends may be a feature of the catwalk but they are certainly not present on the ground. For bright colours insert tartan madras and for natural fabrics beyond tartan madras, forget about it. And other than the sexual connotations of the catwalk, the decorous Caribbean attitude to dress is the more restrictive and heat retaining layers the better.

This is where my fashion label Bare Minimum comes into the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment