Saturday, November 14, 2020

The human body was not designed for clothes

The Beauty of the Female Form. 
Nude study by Danish photographer Benny Rytter

No matter how I contrive to adhere to the Bare Minimum concept of my fashion label, the fact remains that the human body was not designed for clothes. Apart from keeping warm in a cold climate and protecting against insect bights in the tropics, the two other principal reasons for wearing clothes are contrary to each other: modesty and sexual attraction.

Designs are governed by what you can hook on to to prevent everything falling down. On the female figure the key anchor points are over shoulders, above the breasts, and around the waist. 

A woman's breasts are the most beautiful of God's creations and it always puzzles me why we have to truss them up and deform them into a shapeless lump. I understand that the first bikini top was fashioned from a couple of handkerchiefs tied together. A strip of cotton voile thrown down on my sewing table seemed anxious to take up the form of its own accord.


 As a watercolourist I have learnt to allow the medium to be my guide and I am finding that the same holds true for fabrics.

It was a collection of dyed off cuts that tempted me to use my last strips of my cotton voile (I've now used up all there is on the island) to create a multicoloured version of my earlier "tatters" design.


Below is a picture of the work in progress. Piecing it together is as challenging as a complicated jigsaw puzzle. As with my first "tatters" design I've placed the seams to the outside to create texture.



No comments:

Post a Comment