Monday, August 9, 2021

It comes as a surprise

It comes as a surprise to those who visit my studio to find that my work isn't all about painting pictures. As a forewarning, I usually lead them in through my engineering shop. If Leonardo da Vinci was to visit me from the next world, he'd stop there and then. The same applies to the master carpenters I have known when it comes to my woodworking shop. In both workshops the spirit of my father and grandfather keep watch over the skills and tools they have handed down to me.

Over the last five months the greater part of my working day has been divided between those two workshops. As a engineer I have made major repairs and modification to the machine that lays the island's water supply pipelines, and as a carpenter I have customized the rear body of a Land Rover with a lining of locally grown mahogany. 

My son Tristan has assisted me with both projects. He has inherited the eye to hand coordination that is a requisite of fine craftmanship. His grandfather and great grandfather would have been proud of him. 

Below are the before and after pictures of the Land Rover.




No comments:

Post a Comment