Saturday, December 18, 2021

How can I hope to be popular?

Bermuda 1992. Water Colour 15" x 20"

My art flatters nobody by imitation, it courts nobody by smoothness, nobody by petitelieness, it is without either fal-de-lal or fiddle-de-dee; how then can I hope to be popular?   

(John Constable. English Landscape Painter. 1776-1837)

My landscape painting of a Bermuda might have won popular approval had I followed the advice that was once given to me:

"You need to work more carefully...use a smaller brush...avoid getting your colours too wet."

In the 1970's, while building my boat in a Suffolk farmyard, I lived in a house that is included in one of Constable's paintings. My eighty year old neighbour lived in an18th century timber-framed thatched cottage. The entrance passage was dark and Harry wanted to put a glass pane in the front door to let in some light. But like many buildings in "Constable Country" his house was listed by English Heritage and as such he was not even allowed to paint his door a different colour. 

Harry's carping comment was: Bloody Constable. I wish he'd been born in Liverpool!

No comments:

Post a Comment