Friday, December 10, 2021

One splash leads to another



The secret of painting in water colour is to allow accidents to happen: a painting can't go right until it has gone wrong. And the same holds true for fabric designs. 

Today's opening picture of a recent design for my Bare Minimum fashion label. The first splash of dye was accidental and I was cursing myself for having ruined a length of my precious cotton lawn fabric. But one splash led to another. Perhaps this is how Jackson Pollock's abstract impressionist paintings first came about. 

Jackson Pollock (1912-1956)

Cotton lawn is semi-sheer but with a closer weave than cotton voile. Its smoother texture helps to prevent the dye from bleeding and hence allows for crisper outlines. The picture below shows the same length of splashed fabric hurriedly thrown around my mannequin as a wrap-round skirt. Oh for the return of my real life models when one day this pandemic comes to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment