Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Dear Nikon

My troublesome 2020 Nikon Coolpix B500 
(Plus two springs from the action of my 60 year old piano that are needed to make it work)

My cameras have ranged from a classic 1939 Kodak bellows to a 2020 digital Nikon. The Kodak, shown below, was one of the best and the Nikon shown above, one of the worst. 

Kodak Vigilant 620 roll film bellows camera.

Between the two I've owned a much loved 35mm Kodak Retinette 1A and a dubious Soviet SLR. 
My association with digital cameras began with the earliest one made by Kodak - simple and dependable - followed by a superb but less dependable Olympus 5.1 megapixel Camedia. I replaced the Olympus with a marvelous Canon Power Shot A2500. Most of the pictures on this blog were taken with that little camera.

The problem with the Nikon is not picture quality but the brittle stainless steel strip contacts for its 4 AA batteries. And four AA batteries are its only mode of power. Nikon tell me that the reason for battery power is that many users will be travelling to remote regions that lack mains electricity, whereas suitable AA batteries are always available wherever you are. I stress "suitable" as the camera is fussy on what it accepts. Alas, on my "remote" island in the Caribbean compatible batteries are seldom available. 

However, by replacing the broken contacts with two redundant springs from piano, hey-presto, the camera works!  

Dear Nikon, I have a further 86 surplus old piano springs. Let me know if you need them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment