Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Will there ever be another?

One of my many paintings of Annabelle from times past.

Somerset Maugham, in the preface of his third and final collection of short stories, writes: I do not expect ever to write another.

With the limitations posed by the pandemic in terms of working from the live model, I am beginning to feel that I may never paint another. If that proves to be so it would be unfinished business. For while I can never recapture the Caribbean landscape and townscape as it was fifty years ago, there is more that I need to unrestrainedly say about the beauty of The Daughters of the Caribbean Sun

My means of expression is not the repetitive posed photograph of the nude but the of the unguarded moment captured in a matter a minutes by way of the suggestive subtlety of watercolours

It's difficult to do that from behind facemasks and at a social distance of six feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment