Saturday, January 28, 2023

From clockwork to digital

 

The classic Bolex 16mm Camera

I started out in film at the age of eight, drawing my own animated film strips on rolls of post WW2 heavy duty toilet paper and viewing them on a projector that I had made out of a cardboard box. Fifty years ago, I progressed to a clockwork Bolex 16mm camera. This classic camera has been the choice for documentary film makers and it still retains a dedicated following. Twenty years ago I updated my equipment to early digital format, and this week I moved up to high definition digital. 

My "new" (already out of date) camera has none of the romance of my clockwork Bolex, nor the creative ingenuity of my cartoons on toilet paper. And although Sony have ambitiously enabled me to digitally set the date up to 2079 I doubt that the camera will last that long - but then again, neither will I. 

Furthermore, my Sony is not as photogenic as the Bolex.

My Sony HDR-FX7 Video Camera

My return to the moving image has been triggered by needing to capture the "movement" of my paintings, sculptures and fashion designs. None of my work is static. 

The poet Dylan Thomas, who was all for taking the highfalutin nonesense out of poetry, claimed that a reader's response to a good poem should be the same as viewers responded to the first motion picture: "By God it moves, and so by God it does!".

No comments:

Post a Comment