Friday, March 31, 2023

An invitation to share the creative process

I am always searching for ways that enable the viewer to enter the creative process. The finished work is one thing but the struggles that brought it about is quite another. This time around I'm attempting to do it by means of the moving image on film. I still use the word film even though nowadays it's video. Actually the word video is more accurate, for it's derived the the latin "to see". 

But I don't want the end result to be yet another "how to do it' instructional video. What I am after is the creative interplay between artist and model. It won't be easy to get this across. One needs to be superimposed on the other. The trials and errors of work in progress will need to be captured. 

I found the clue as to how to go about it, not from watching the attempts of other filmmakers, but by re-reading the novels of Jean Rhys. Her prose style is one of searching: of picking something up and putting it down again - often in mid sentence. And that is how the creative process works.

Annabelle as she is seen in my paintings.



My book "Notes on the Nude" contains a soliloquy that I murmured while working on one of my session with Annabelle. Perhaps similar murmured soliloquies from both artist and model could be the suggestive sound to go with the vision.

I’ve ten minutes left to save the day…Just relax in whichever way you choose…Where do I start…I’m seeing a line in silhouette that runs over the left breast and down to right thigh…Just one simple line with a hint of the rib cage…Now I can place the right breast and follow the curve to the hip…What a wonderful line that is…Keep it loose, don’t play about with detail…The face is largely hidden behind the left arm but that doesn’t make it easier…First I must let the chin fall into place…Now I can tie in the arms. The complication of the clasped hands I’ll leave to take care of themselves…Okay, stretch if you need to…No more line, just get the washes down, boldly, once and for all…My brush instinctively finds the earth colours I need…Leave the washes to find their own way…Keep the lights light and don’t be afraid of defining the darks around the face…The same touch of Indian Red serves for the lips and the nipples and the merest touch where the thighs meet…No time for background and it would be superfluous for what I am after…A glance at the clock tells me our time is up…To add more would be less.

No comments:

Post a Comment