Friday, April 7, 2023

What might have been.

The artist at age twenty, unaware of what the future held in store.

The opening photograph was spotted a member of my family on my brother's facebook page. Whilst I follow my brother's blog - it was my brother that introduced me to "blogging" in the 1990's - I am a person non grata on facebook. My paintings and sculptures of the female nude contravene their community guidelines. 

My brother's photograph set me thinking of what might have been, if I have been sane and sensible. Had I not turned my back on an engineer's drawing board in my twenties I might have risen through the ranks and for the last twenty years been bored to death in comfortable retirement. 

A second photograph on his facebook page brought home to me what commissions might have come my way had I pursued my work in public sculpture. But my sculptural passion led me towards the nude figure, which for the most part - that being the parts facebook objects to - is deemed unsuited for the public's gaze and detail is absent.   

A remarkably detailed sculpture by Andrew Sinclair MRBS 
recently unveiled in Halifax Town Centre.

When I was debating whether I should give up my job in engineering design, this quotation by Arthur Ransome tipped the scales in my favour:

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for what might have been.

Thankfully, I grabbed the chance and have no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment