Thursday, July 6, 2023

I can't be sure

Ayodel, maybe? (Circ 2013)

I'm not sure which is the worst; discarding a painting or discarding a model. In this instance I regret them both. I think today's painting is one that I made of Ayodel on her first session, but I can't be sure. She modelled for me only once: for the second session she slept in. 

I ruthlessly discard models when they fail to keep their appointments and I sometimes foolishly discard paintings that I perceive to be failures. I rescued this painting from a pile that I had set aside to reduce to pulp for my papermaking. I wish now that I could rescue the model, for she had all the attributes I need for my work.

The rapid paintings I make during the first session with a model are exploratory. They allow me to explore the model's natural stance and features. 

No comments:

Post a Comment