Tuesday, December 5, 2023

My life has been the poem I would have writ...

 

The Launching of Born Free of Higham.

My life has been the poem I would have writ. 
But I could not both live and utter it.
(Henry David Thoreau)

Those words aptly sum up my own life. In the books listed in my last post I have attempted to utter some of it. They are a mixed bag, but as such they express the triumphs and tribulations of my life. 

The boat shown in the opening picture played a significant role in the tribulations. I designed her for working and living aboard in the tropics and built her in a farmyard in the heart of Constable's Suffolk countryside. During the two years I spent building the boat we lived in a cottage that is included in one of Constable's paintings of the village of Higham.

John Constable's painting of the village of Higham.

No comments:

Post a Comment