Thursday, November 30, 2023

Studio Publications


I have spent the last four months converting my ten books into eBook format, and moreover, creating my own publishing house to market them. So goodbye Amazon: there will no more censoring my Notes on the Nude, and no more of my hard-earned dollars going into your coffers.

I began my journey into self-publishing sixty years ago when I sold my prints door to door in England. The price tag was ten shillings and within a week I had sold a thousand copies. In the 1980's, I hawked my book Virgin Island Sketches from boat to boat in the Caribbean. By these means - person to person, face to face - the book sold over 14,000 copies. 

Although selling eBooks online lacks the personal touch, it enables my work to reach a worldwide market from my small island in the Caribbean - just as my blog posts are followed by thousands of artists and art students in over eighty countries. 

Studio Publications is virtually a one-man band. I am publisher, author, artist and general factotum rolled into one. Computer mastery, an essential requirement for E-publishing, is beyond my octarian dyslexic capabilities. But my computer savvy son helps me with that. 

In the days of hard copies, I had to contend with the gremlins that infiltrate printers ink. But they are tame in comparison to the gremlins that frustrate the conversion of Word Documents to eBooks. We fight them off on one page on one day and by the following day they have creeped back on the next. 

But the final appearance of an ebook depends on user preferences and the receiving device. The recipient can alter fonts, text colour and line spacing, and hence enter into the creative process - just as my models share the creative process of my paintings and sculptures. The books that contain illustrations are in PDF format to ensure precise layout and quality reproduction. 

Below are images of the front covers of my books. Further information about contents and ordering can be found at: https://www.studiopublications.org/










  

No comments:

Post a Comment