Friday, January 19, 2024

On the cutting room floor

Detail from the painting featured in a forthcoming demonstration video titled 
Working from Life. 

In the pre-digital days of film making discarded footage ended up on the cutting room floor. Now superfluous clips are deleted at the click of a mouse. But what might be discarded as worthless today might be considered gems tomorrow. Today's picture is a case in point. It is a still from a demonstration video I'm making that illustrates my way of painting in watercolour. Yesterday it was edited out, today it's back in. 

It is the same with my paintings. I restrain myself from destroying those that on the spur of the moment I consider worthless. On reassessment, I sometimes find positive features that had eluded me.

The video shows the creation of a painting in my series Daughters of the Caribbean Sun, from start to finish. The timespan is 14 minutes. Speed is of the essence.

No comments:

Post a Comment