Friday, January 12, 2024

Only angles and babies need apply

 

My wife Denise in the eighth month of her pregnancy with our daughter Trina. 

Following the theory: if you can't beat them, join them, I have been trolling through scores of art group sites on Facebook in view of introducing my book Notes on the Nude to their members. In the process I have been reminded of Facebook's horror of the nude, hence on many sites my paintings and sculptures are persona non grata. 

Granted, one group makes the exception of angles and babies. But alas, the painting of my wife Denise in the eighth month of her pregnancy with our daughter Trina, still falls foul of their censors; albeit that it embodies both exceptions in one painting. 

Years ago, when one of my sculptures was being cast by the Morris Singer Foundry, I caught sight two angels. They had been commissioned to stand each side of a church alter. Gossamer drapery served to accentuate their God given beauty. I learnt from the sculptor that the model for one was a young lady of impeccable breeding and for the other, a prostitute.

My book dwells at length on censorship of the nude in art.


No comments:

Post a Comment