Monday, June 5, 2023

We're both too old...

Me and my 50+ year old Land Rover

I have before me a book titled: The Maintenance and Running Repairs of Motor Cars by Eric W. Walford. It dates from 1915 and the author intended it for those of modest means who cannot employ a chauffeur. I'm not sure how it came to be handed to me. My father was only four years old at the time of publication, but my grandfather Enoch - a man of many parts - may have been the original owner. 

The book came to mind last week in my attempts to insure and tax my 50+ year old Land Rover. For the insurance companies, either the vehicle was too old, or I - at approaching 80 - was too old, or collectively, we were both too old. At the eleventh hour, one company relented and we're good to go for another year. I did better when I drove into the testing bay. The examiner waved my through with the words, "A vehicle that looks as good as that doesn't need testing!".

If given the tender loving care she deserves my Land Rover will still be on the road long after my time, and long after today's imported vehicles are on the scrap heap.

Eric Walford's book covers wooden spoked wheels. It's a pity I was not around 100+ years ago, as the making of wooden spoked wheels is within my capabilities, as shown in the picture below.

A 30" diameter wooden spoked wheel that I made for a traditional handcart.

No comments:

Post a Comment