Thursday, August 1, 2024

The Curse of Committees

My preliminary sketch for a life-size sculpture of a rugby player diving for a try.

Twenty-five years ago I was asked to enter a competition for sculptures for the West Yorkshire town of Dewsbury. The brief was for two sculptures standing side by side; one depicting a 20th century rugby player and the other a 19th century mill girl. I told the judging committee (the members of which wouldn't have known a sculpture if one fell on their heads) that I found the combination and static pose ludicrous. 

As a result of my uncalled for advice, the committee made short shrift of my submission of a rugby player diving for a try and mill girls running out of the factory gates with their shawls flying.

The winning Dewsbury entry is shown below in situ.


All this comes about because I have at the back of my mind a sculpture of an athlete motion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment