Thursday, October 17, 2024

Visions of a Paradise Lost

The above is one of scores of sketches that I made forty years ago on a secluded beach in the British Virgin Islands. In those days the beach only saw the occasional footprints of those from the nearby village. The picture below shows the beach as it is today.

But worse is yet to come...  

The government has just signed a contract for the construction of a vending zone inclusive of 6 vending units, including 3 scaled for full service restaurants and bar operations, an outdoor eating and entertainment area and an administrative area to support the beach management function.

Fifty years ago the Virgin Island poet Sheila Hyndman prophesied the future in her poem Visions of a Paradise Lost. 

My shores stripped bare, 

My precious mangroves destroyed,

My seas poisoned,

My own descendants have sold me into slavery.

No comments:

Post a Comment