Sunday, December 1, 2013

How long has this been going on?




Being cast away on a tropical island has its disadvantages.  Other than local fare, the world of concerts, plays and exhibitions is thousands of miles away.  It is difficult to keep pace with developments in the arts and until the advent of the internet, well-nigh impossible. 


These days, thanks to the world-wide-web, I can make the virtual best of it.  When I sketched the Northern and English Ballet fifteen years ago, the inspirational Ballet Black http://balletblack.co.uk/ didn’t exist.  My next visit to the UK will be timed to tie in with one of their performances. 


In similar vein, nowhere in my fifty-year old collection of LP’s will you find recordings of the virtuoso jazz violinist Regina Carter.  In those days, she didn’t exist.  If you hear of a painter and sculptor walking on water it’s me, determined to get to one of her concerts.  In the meantime, here she is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAU5QSYmUsk


I can even search and find a rare and lost Stan Kenton and June Christy 10” LP that includes the song that I’ve used for my title.  I suspect I’ll find it on my brother’s shelf of LP’s.


Today’s sketch is one of a series that I made of the Northern Ballet at rehearsals.

No comments:

Post a Comment