Sunday, December 15, 2013

Teamwork




Between sessions, my most recent model is studying Business Management.  Last week, as part of her course work, she had to make a presentation on the subject of teamwork.  For her topic, she cited the artist and model as one of her examples.

Her choice speaks volumes about her understanding of the crucial role of the model.  Furthermore, it set me thinking about a host of others who have contributed their skills to the sculptor’s work.  

Not least on the list are those master craftsmen who for centuries have made the tools for the job.  This link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvr2nZeAfNc will give you glimpse of what’s involved.  Then comes the moulders, who job is to take the initial waste-mould and then the intricate piece-mould.  And finally, the multiple skills of the foundry workers. 

Over the years I have been privileged to share the work of these incredibly accomplished artisans.  Sadly their numbers are in decline and there is an urgent need to train future generations before their skills are lost forever. 

To make full-circle, let me come back to the contribution of the model.  From a life-time’s practice I’ve learnt to make my own tools and take my own moulds.  Given a furnace, I can cast in bronze.  But without a model, sympathetic to the work at hand, I can’t even begin.

Today’s sketch shows one of my models relaxing between sessions and I dedicate it to all of those who have worked behind the scenes to make my work possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment