My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Work in Progress, Part 2


Today’s picture shows the progress we’ve made on the portrait bust over the last couple of weeks.  Once again I stress “we”, for without a model there can be no portrait.

My model solved my dilemma with her straightened hair by arriving one day wearing a traditional Creole head-tie.  The madras “headkerchief” can be tied so that the corners make one, two three or four points.  The number of points carry a message to would be suitors. 


One point means, my heart is free.

Two points, my heart is engaged but you can take a chance.

Three points, my heart is already taken.

Four points, I have a place for whoever desires.

1 comment:

  1. Captured the face wonderfully and I love the meanings behind the points.

    ReplyDelete