My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Agony and the Ecstasy




I have stolen the title for today’s post from Irvin Stone’s 1962 biographic novel on the life of Michelangelo. I look forward, in the next world, to sharing a glass of wine with Michelangelo, and a host of other artists, who have lived and painted with a passion. 


I can feel their presence as I struggle with a new collection of figurative watercolour paintings.  Giving birth to a painting, involves an agonizing struggle against the odds.  At best, a watercolour is an accident waiting to happen.  Add to that, the difficulties of working from life; for only rarely can an artist find a muse and model that is able to inspire beyond the dreary norm.  If you then consider the chances of each reaching a creative high at one and the same time, the betting is in the region of a thousand to one against.   


As with making love, the creative spirit often at its best after a fight.  If that holds true there is hope, for my model and I are good at fighting.  And if not by making love, we at least make up with a determined burst of ecstatic energy. 


The picture is of today’s painting, still dripping with emotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment