Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Flaunting the sexual as against revealing the beauty

Photo Credit Dominica News on Line

Thirty years ago, through my work as a painter and sculptor, I attempted to extol the natural beauty of the Afro-Caribbean woman, unadorned by foreign concepts of beauty. To achieve my objective I had to go beyond Marcus Garvey’s plea to “take the kinks out of your mind, not out of your hair”.
The nude figure is less sexually provocative than one that is scantily dressed. After the initial shock of the nude, the eye takes in the beauty of the body as a whole rather than being drawn to the so called "private parts" tantalizingly hidden in the name of decency. I know that this is something that many people have difficulty getting their head around, but it is a fact. If I wanted my models to look sexy, I’d put them in a bikini and have them pose seductively, hand on hip.
The opening pictures are of this year's Dominica Carnival Queen contenders. They are all attractive young ladies and it's not their fault that they feel obliged to flaunt for the audience the sexual as against revealing their God given beauty. 
Elsewhere in the Caribbean my work once convinced the judges to give credit to natural appearance. And a few years ago one contender wrote in my visitor's book, "You have opened my eyes and mind to true beauty".
The sculpture shown below is of my model Verlena: the epitome of true beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment