Saturday, February 15, 2020

Spewed out of the furnaces of Gomorrah


Page 80 in my book Notes on the Nude is headed Tame in Comparison to Rodin. It reads as follows:

Despite every effort to resist finish, my torso of Marcella is tame beside how Camille Lemonnier, Belgian, writer, poet and journalist, describes one of Rodin’s sculptures:

At the Maison d’Art there is a torso that seems to have been spewed out from the furnaces of Gomorrah. It has been savagely torn and splayed the way a fissure in the earth cracks open, as though a crucible were exploding in its depths.

But Marcella can quite literally claim to have brought down the curtain. The curtain in question being the neutral canvas backdrop that I judge my models against. One gust from the tropical trade wind and it was gone. But my models are made of tough stuff and I doubt that a hurricane would deter them. 

Perhaps the life-size torso that I've cast from handmade paper pulp comes closer to Rodin's torso. It was released from the mold prematurely, not by me but by the same tropical trade wind that brought the curtain down on Marcella. 


No comments:

Post a Comment