Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Champagne corks and work in progress


The champagne corks are reminders of celebrations that marked the sale of the 1,500 copy of my book Virgin Island Sketches along with sales of my paintings.  That was twenty-five years ago aboard my gaff cutter Born Free anchored off Petit St. Vincent in the Grenadines. Today the corks are being used to temporary help pin together segments of my life-size paper torso.

The opening picture shows the torso still attached to the clay figure. In order to separate one from the other we go back to the age old techniques of plaster casting where the cast is divided and built up again in pieces. Hence the terms, "waste" and  "piece mold".  

I had hopes of keeping to just two pieces: front and back. But I hadn't bargained for the strong suction that the layers of paper create. To avoid distortion I finished up with ten pieces and a three dimensional jigsaw puzzle.


It is in assembling these pieces that my champagne corks came in useful. They help to hold the seams in place while I glue them together with strips of - you guessed - handmade paper.  




No comments:

Post a Comment