Friday, March 6, 2020

Freedom from restraint



For twenty years I have been trying to give my sculptures the freedom of my watercolours but with limited success. My endeavors to retain the freedom of the initial clay sketch become restrained through the complicated and lengthy transitions of casting in bronze: from clay, to plaster, to wax, to bronze. The textures and patiners of bronze are limited, along with the constraints of the final form. Furthermore, the final cast has to be made thousands of miles away and beyond my direct control. Time and cost are also major limiting factors.

My watercolours do not end in a hard line but drift into nothingness and the colours do the same, as with the opening painting of Verlena. 

By way of my experiments with hand made paper, I have finally found freedom from restraint. The natural colours of my papers reflect the subtle skin tones of my models, the textures are dramatic and the outline of the cast is not hard and fast. The details below are from sculptures shown in recent posts.

The challenge now is to develop my technique from high relief to sculptures in the round. It is a challenge that has given me many sleepless nights. But I'm working on it and I think I'm getting there!


The subtlety of colour

The indistinct outline 

No comments:

Post a Comment